If this is your first time in Tanzania or your first time on safari, this packing list below can help to be well prepared and comfortable during your adventure. If you do forget a few things, don’t worry, you can pick up most everyday items in town before you leave.
- Valid passport
- Yellow fever vaccination records/
- Tanzania visa, available at the airport upon arrival, USD $100 payable in cash only for US citizens or USD $50 for residents of UK/European Union and most other
RECOMMENDED TO APPLY BEFORE
Electronic Application System
- Copy of flight
- Copy of travel and/or medical evacuation
- Personal medical/dental insurance
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard are most widely accepted).
- Cash in S. Dollars (bills MUST have been issued in 2004 or later)
Remember, it’s not a fashion show out there, so be a bit more practical when choosing your safari wardrobe. Try to stay away from bright colours – khaki and other neutral colors tend to work well. It is probably best if you dress in layers since it can get cold, but also very hot.
- Sweater or fleece pullover to keep warm
- Sturdy boots or sandals
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses
- T-shirts or polo shirts (2-5 depending on how often you want to change)
- Long sleeve shirts (light weight)
- Long trousers
- Travel towel
- Thermal underwear, gloves and warm hat (during May – Sept)
- Rain coat and rain trousers (During rainy season Mar – May and Oct – Dec)
- Insect Repellent
- Personal toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, eye drops etc)
- Malaria tablets
- Basic first aid kit and prescription medicines
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Chargers and extra batteries for your camera, phone etc
- Power adapter to fit the UK style electrical socket
- Bring soft luggage such as a duffel bag, hiking pack, or sports bag. These are ideal for packing into a safari vehicle. Hard suitcases can often be difficult to fit into the
- Bring a backpack to carry all of your important items including travel documents, money, camera, medication etc. You should keep this backpack with you at all
- Keep luxury items such as hair dryers/ straighteners, expensive jewellery, make up and bulky toiletries to an absolute minimum. If in doubt, leave them
- If you plan to bring cash, divide it into different areas of your carry-on luggage, wallet and money belt just in case something happens to one of those carry
- Leave some space in your luggage for the all-important souvenirs that you will probably buy. There are places where you can send packages home via DHL etc, however this can sometimes be an expensive
- Firstly you need to check if you are taking any light aircraft flights – and if you are, check what the luggage allowance Airlines can be very strict on baggage limits, so it’s important to double-check your limit before you travel.
LUGGAGE LIMITS WHEN TRAVELLING TO AFRICA
If your itinerary states that soft bags are needed, this is because storage space on light aircraft flights is limited and therefore luggage should be soft (e.g. a duffel bag) so they can be squashed and manipulated into a small hold in the plane.
Your bag should have no spines, frames or a rigid structure, although one flat
side is usually allowed. Also, bags should have very small wheels or preferably, none at all. Your main bag will be placed in the hold and you will be holding your carry-on bags (i.e. hand baggage) in the lap for the duration of the flight as the aircraft do not have under-seat storage or overhead lockers for stowing bags.
- Coastal Aviation – weight allowance of 15kg (33lbs) per person including hand luggage and must be in soft bags (i.e. duffel bag). Maximum dimensions 27 inches (68cm) x 5 inches (36cm).
- Air Excel – weight allowance of 15kg (33lbs) per person including hand luggage and must be in soft bags (i.e. duffel bag). Maximum dimensions 24 inches (60cm) x 12 inches (30cm) x 10 inches (25cm).
- Safari Air Link – weight allowance of 15kg (33lbs) per person including hand luggage and must be in soft bags (i.e. duffel bag). Maximum dimensions 27 inches (68cm) x 10 inches (25cm).
- Auric Air – weight allowance of 20kg (44lbs) per person including hand luggage and must be in soft bags (i.e. duffel bag). Maximum dimensions 24 inches (60cm) x 18 inches (45cm) x 13 inches (33cm).